We know it’s hot, but there are too many fun things happening this weekend to spend it inside playing on Facebook…..
Friday, June 22
- Kick off the weekend right on with an outdoor concert featuring St. Louis favorite Pokey LaFarge and the South City Three who will be performing at Art Hill Plaza (the paved area around the statue of St. Louis in front of the St. Louis Art Museum). This will be well-attended, so the audience will certainly spill out onto Art Hill. Bring a blanket and some drinks, and enjoy Pokey’s fun blend of jazz, bluegrass and folk. The music starts at 7 p.m. Free.
- Did you miss the Shakespeare Festival on Art Hill? You still have a chance to see Shakespeare under the stars in Frontier Park in St. Charles. The Riverside Shakespeare Company will perform the popular As You Like It Thursday, Friday and Saturday night at 8 p.m., with an opening act beginning at 7:30 p.m. Free.
- See the circus before it’s too late! This is the last weekend to see Circus Flora, St. Louis’ popular one-ring circus in Grand Center. Tickets are still available for Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday.
Saturday, June 23
- Our neighbors down the street at Saint Louis University Art Museum are exhibiting work by abstract expressionist Robert Motherwell. His paintings and collages of simple lines and color blocks are bright and vibrant, and they often challenge you to look at them — and the world around you — with a new perspective. The Motherwell exhibit will be open through July 22nd. Admission to SLUMA is free, and the galleries are open 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. Wednesday through Sunday.
- Spend the day outside. Start with the self-guided Soulard Garden Tour from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m., while enjoying live music, shopping and art along the leisurely route. After you’ve had your special peek at the gardens in one of St. Louis’ most beautiful neighborhoods, stop by…..
- …the Contemporary Art Museum’s outside showing of Jacques Tati’s 1967 French comedy Play Time. The film will be shown on one of the exterior walls of the Museum, and live jazz music will accompany the movie. Free.
Sunday, June 24
- Check out Sauce Magazine’s Saucy Soiree at the swank Four Seasons Hotel. Your ticket gets you two beers, samples of food, wine and beer from some of the best restaurants in town and then a concert on the rooftop terrace. For more information or to buy tickets ($30 in advance/$40 cash only at the door), visit Sauce’s website.
- The building has been around for awhile, but the Lemp Mansion is celebrating their 35th year in business as a bed & breakfast and restaurant this Sunday from noon to 6 p.m. Visit the Lemp patio and gazebo for free food, lemonade, games and entertainment!