FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Campbell House Museum – Saint Louis, Missouri
RE: Campbell House Museum Announces Move from Historic Downtown Location
The Campbell House Museum, a fixture of downtown St. Louis since its opening in 1943 and its construction in 1851 announced today its intention to relocate to the Hanley Industrial Park in St. Louis County. The intended move is being spurred by the results of a recent structural study of the property, which found the historic town house’s stone foundation crumbling as well as serious issues relating to the substructure of the building’s roof.
Campbell House Museum Executive Director Andy Hahn was quoted as saying:
“As much as we hate to leave this building behind, we here at the Campbell House Museum believe that our mission will be best fulfilled by moving out of the Campbell House. The issues presented by the structural study are simply insurmountable and, quite honestly, old houses are a pain to keep up. We’re very excited to present the Campbell family’s vast collection of original furnishings and decor in the white, sterile environment offered by the Industrial Park – we think it will really make the gold leaf stand out. Plus, the 2,000 square foot unit will be a lot easier to dust and vaccum than the 33 rooms and seven levels of Robert Campbell’s mansion.”
Currently planning is underway for a move-out date at the end of July. In addition to furniture, the Campbell House’s significant collection of original gasolier light fixtures and stained glass windows will be removed and placed in storage. Though no official plans have yet been made, it is expected that the 1851 Campbell House will be demolished in Fall 2015 to provide parking for area businesses.
Campbell House Museum:
“City Living Since 1851”
“Suburban Industrial Park Living Since 2015”