Though Campbell House’s collection contains thousands of original family furnishings and personal items, very little belonging to the servants and enslaved people who also lived at the Campbell House remains. When the Museum opened in 1943, servant furniture was not saved and spaces used by “the help” were either closed off, converted to display galleries and even used as a break room for docents. Pictured here is an image of the Head Housekeeper’s bedroom, ca. 1910. This photograph was recently donated to the Museum by the family of longtime Campbell servant Mary Boerste. Though Boerste’s furniture is long lost, the arrangement of the room’s period furniture has been changed to reflect the placement of the room’s original contents.